Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I said my friend what do you mean?

As I'm writing this I'm looking up at the autographed photo of Harry Nilsson standing in front of the Eiffel Tower that was given to my dad as a gift from his friend Dawn. Also a HarryHead. And an excellent rock journalist. I always found it interesting that the photo of Harry went right above my father's computer where he worked endlessly. Yes, I inherited a love. My father bought me my first Beatles album, and he put on Nilsson all the time.

I remember spinning round and round (yes this was my great high) while listening to music. I also remember breaking a few c.d. players that way. I think three actually. I had to quit spinning. And by the way, that was very hard to do.

People usually understand why you love The Beatles. They accept it. It's hard not to at least admire the music. When you tell someone you dig Harry Nilsson you usually get a "Huh?" or "Hey, that's the guy who got Lennon drunk! They were crazy!"

But there's always the golden moment that you wait hopefully for when someone responds to you with "Harry!!!" They're usually just as pleased that not only a. they're not alone in that love and b. someone else is listening to Harry. What I've noticed is every Harry Nilsson fan wants everyone else to know who Harry is. Listen to the music, just listen. You have to know his music, you maybe don't know him but you'll know a lot of the music.

I can't really find enough words to explain Harry Nilsson without saying "Brilliant!" and "Heartfelt" a lot. And that's just repetitive. The truth is it's very hard NOT to like Harry.

So as a true HarryHead I'm plugging:

Zip through YouTube and check this trailer at the bottom of the page out! It's for a documentary on Harry's life that has been popping up in film festivals around America. If there was ever a person or story in music that could mix the gritty, soft, joyful, sad, and altogether interesting soul...This is it.

So toast a Brandy Alexander and check him out :)



Love and Schmisses,

Arabella

9 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Hey, Arabella,

Hold off on the brandy alexander until you are 21! Let ME do the drankin' as I have more than doubled the drankin' age.

I love Harry too.

07 March, 2007  
Blogger Durward Discussion said...

Arabella,

Once more the brains are reaching across the generations to run in tandem. Today I'm requesting stories about the first time you actually bought music of your own.

You are right. It is impossible to not like Nilsson even if you are just visiting from a distant planet.

08 March, 2007  
Blogger Durward Discussion said...

Of course that reminded me of Paul Williams

NILSSON SINGS NEWMAN
Paul Williams/Kenny Ascher


You don't like Shummann
Or Randy Newman
And Nilsson's not your cup of tea
You say Van Heusen is the shirt worth choosin'
But your still undecided about me

08 March, 2007  
Blogger Michael Bains said...

I'm only vaguely aware of who Nillson is, but I too Loved Spinning.

And, yeah, things got broken...

I see no video, btw??? Maybe it's my connection. I'll check later.

L8

10 March, 2007  
Blogger COLORADO BOB said...

The opening bars of ....Jump Into the Fire

Ba - Dump, dump-da-dump dee dump-dump

Ba - Dump, dump-da-dump dee dump-dump

11 March, 2007  
Blogger COLORADO BOB said...

I was wondering what to post, and a visit here led me to another Harry clip .... Coconuts

11 March, 2007  
Blogger COLORADO BOB said...

These people posted that Coconuts clip :

Bedazzled Blogs

11 March, 2007  
Blogger COLORADO BOB said...

One more ....
Gun Sale at the Chruch - The Beat Farmers

11 March, 2007  
Blogger display said...

Hi Vanilla,

Sorry for the late reply. Many thanks for your comment. I'm bummed after reading your story that you didn't post pop's photo of Harry at the Tower. You should. Or... maybe even consider donating it to the "For The Love Of Harry" blog to post there. Cool idea, huh?

Many thanks again for the kind words.

Willard
For The Love Of Harry

25 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home