Wednesday, February 07, 2007

New YorkiTude

It is freezing out, actually the temperature is much higher than yesterday or the day before..

10 degrees! Winter has arrived and set up as the unwanted guest. Usually a relative, not someone you're particularly close to and quite often an instigator of arguments.

February in New York (February in general) is quite possibly one of the more boring months of the year. A few days ago the nasty winter blues had not completely set in. Everyone looked at each other incredulously and laughed about the drop in degrees.

Now everyone's just glaring and cursing under their breath. This is probably my least favorite time of year. A New Yorker becomes dangerously close to befitting the "arse" stereotype. I don't believe in the "New York 'Tude". I don't really believe in any nasty attitude at all. It's not nice, it doesn't help anyone's day and it doesn't really help the jerk who gave attitude in the first place.

I do however revert to it only under the most extreme circumstances. This usually includes various "interesting people" name dropping, dressing completely in black, and tut tutting anyone who doesn't know anything about anything which obviously is something that New Yorkers would know.

I am not proud of this, and it only happens once in a blue moon. I'm a turtle dipping it's head back into the shell unhappy with the surroundings. These are the set off parts of the conversations and how the evil 'tude pops up:

1: Your Parents are both artists, you must be uniquely f**ked up. Children should have good stable parents! New York is a horrible place to raise children! Poor, poor you.

2: New York isn't anything special, I've been to the Hard Rock Cafe loads of times! It's dirty in New York and people are deranged...BUT I am very hep and I am like so completely awesome. Did you know I've been to the ESPN ZONE?...I don't think you act like a New Yorker. Are you sure you were raised here.

(Ugh, more than once has this occurred)

And number three is the big one: A person (who is from anywhere else in the world) is being a huge jerk and snot to anyone who crosses their path. They are without a doubt the most fabulous person in the room and no one can top that. Go into character and watch them quiet down.

I don't do the lovely rolling of the eyes and gnashing of the teeth. My voice stays the same and I smile throughout the conversation as though nothing has changed. I don't push in the subway and I hold the door open. Oh and I do make eye contact with people...That's something else I heard. Supposedly no one makes eye contact?

Pray for an early spring as the New Yorkers are getting cranky. With or without their coffee.

Have a good week!

3 Comments:

Blogger Hope said...

colorado bob suggested i check out your sight. great writing! I will definitely keep on reading.

07 February, 2007  
Blogger Sue said...

Hey Miss Vanilla birdies,

I really think you are talking about stereotypes, I have lived all my life in the South. The closest I ever came to living up north was DC. Still below the MD line. It was all so funny to come to NYC-whenever I opened my mouth the NYC people assumed I was dumb. When they found out I wasn't they assumed I had overcome something (like poverty) which never was there in the first place. So much fun! Eye Luv New Yowerk!

07 February, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the City; fond memories; but, can't say that anyone makes eye contact. The good news about the gloom of winter, have the WWW and lots to do online.

17 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home