Monday, January 22, 2007

Monday Blues

Hmm, Monday.

I'm not the biggest fan of Mondays.

Let's see, January is almost over so of course winter is here at full speed (it got lost along the way...Either that or it took an extended vacation)and so mostly it's cold. I trudged out to New Jersey to visit my mom and teach my much younger brother to ice skate...As well as help pull other children off the sides of the wall in hysterics.

"Are you okay? Do you want to skate with us?"

"No. I can do it myself!"

"Okay, if you want to just holler."

2 minutes later...

"HELP ME!!!!!! I HATE THE ICE!!!! PLEASE!!!"

Brought my own skates, the giant cushioned ones that look much more intimidating than they are...Really, just stick out your hand and let them sniff and their tongues will lick you. A wonderful change from the leather/canvas blister twins that every little girl must wear as an ice skater....Dammit.

The dammit probably came from my grandmother who decided at some point I would either be a figure skater or a famous dancer. I didn't really want to, or have the feet for either but it was such a big deal for her...So it happened.

In interesting news,

There's a plan in the works to take out the middle man, otherwise known as middle school.

Which prompts the question: What is worse, middle or high school?

I vote middle. I disliked high school quite a bit but middle was just confusing...And people were a lot meaner in middle schoool then in high school.

Anyway the plan is to just extend schools to k-8. Which sounds fine.

But of course now this topic has brought me back to high school. In middle school I was sad. In high school I was in trouble. And not bad kid trouble. I never fought and I was so quiet people thought I was either mute or did not speak English.

I was in teacher trouble. Teachers swore I wasn't writing my own papers, or the books I was reading weren't recommended (I was told Slaughter House 5 was a grotesque novel), I wasn't allowed any art classes, and I've always read quickly but apparently I was lying about that as well. My favorite though was being sent to the social worker who asked me if I wanted to kill anyone in my school (Um, no never. Why?), if my mother had affairs with the neighbors (No.), and if I hated anyone of a different color or sexual orientation for that very reason(No, of course not).

Then he asked: "So why do you hate Jesus?" I didn't hate Jesus. I just didn't think I should have to write about him in public school. I also didn't think he was apparent in every single novel. Every essay or book report had to acknowledge Jesus. I didn't want to, so I didn't. But of course I got very passive aggressive and when a teacher would ask for a six page essay...I would hand in a 15 page one with teeny tiny print. I was a pain in the ass. So I'd get sent back down to the social worker. Who was a guidance counselor with a fancier title. But, at least in high school I had a better idea or who I was than in middle school.

I don't recommend starting any trouble in high school unless you're sure it's absolutely necessary.

So for a boring Monday rant...There you go.

So Hilary's in the running...And telling off Bush. Good.

Happy Monday :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Durward Discussion said...

What a wonderful story. You seem to have survived many of my similar experiences. Since I attended 21 schools in 12 years, I had both the K-8 with HS as 9-12 and the K-6, Middle 7-9 and HS as 10-12.

Preference: No Middle School. You just get to the top of the pyramid in 9th and they drop you into the hell of your Sophmore year. Yuck!! At least with K-8 no one gets your hopes up.

Keep being a pain. As long as that means your usual excellence, everyone will adapt.

22 January, 2007  
Blogger Sue said...

Girl, you are so good!

I love reading your blog and remembering ...

22 January, 2007  
Blogger Durward Discussion said...

VB,

Do me a favor and ask your dad if he is familiar with a song with the lines

We'll speak the lingo of pink flamingo

and

We'll be immoral among the coral

I'm trying to recall the title & lyrics for a song I last heard 25 years ago. HELP

25 January, 2007  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Name one "good girl" who became famous. You can't because there aren't any.

You were just being yourself and that's okay.

26 January, 2007  
Blogger COLORADO BOB said...

Middle school ... I bought my ticket on the hell bound train there.

28 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home