Sunday, November 19, 2006

Pink Elephants On Parade

I am in the mood for something new. It's a normal occurrence for everyone in the world, we like a little change after awhile.
Where to go, what to do?
One, I'd like to start using oil paints again. I believe I mastered the sometimes illusive art of layering paint to look like something. Other than a splat.
Although I rather enjoy splats.

My friend called me today telling me what she wanted for her birthday...I told her I rarely asked what people wanted...she told me anyway.

"I want a baby ferret"

I felt my heart sink. My friend treated animals like accessories. They were there to make her look cooler or nicer or more interesting. She'd bought frogs on a whim and hadn't properly taken care of them, she went on a Siamese fish run and bought about eight; one who was later rescued from her toilet bowl and became the infamous Cool Yule. She believed in caging guinea pigs and rabbits, when her friends cat gave birth she immediately wanted one of the kittens..she would not wait and took one of the kittens home who was weak from being separated from her mother so soon. The kitten survived...became supposedly an angry beast (I'll find out for myself soon enough) and was given away to an upstairs neighbor. For awhile she wanted a parrot whom she planned on locking in her claustrophobic very dark room until she wanted to walk on the street with it. The bird had had it's wings clipped...grrr, terrible!...so she saw no problem.

Now the ferret. A wonderful animal, incredibly intelligent and curious. I explained they crawled everywhere and chewed through wires.

Her response:

"Uh, hello? Ever heard of cages?"

Okay you're going to leave the poor animal in a cage and I'm starting to lose it! I am going to actually throw red paint on you!(and I don't even like PETA!...they're a little nuts.)

"Okay so how about a chinchilla?"

I didn't really have a good answer for that. They need very expensive big homes was about all I could manage.

I love my friend. I think when it comes to a lot she's deranged. We are complete opposites when it comes to quite a bit...including animals.

Most animals tend to like me. They don't always like her. They sense danger! I have animals with pretty long lives. She calls them nasty names and they die..she's also only home every other weekend.

Please please don't let her get another pet. For pet's sake. Otherwise I will become SUPERBIRDIES! Protector of the furry, slimy, and often scaly!

Until then meet my friend.

The Grim Fureaper.




The Rolling Stones "Under My Thumb"


Have a great Sunday and Monday! I'll be back with less rants and more intellect!

6 Comments:

Blogger pissed off patricia said...

My sister treats animals the way your friend does and that's one of the reason I cannot stand her. She gets dogs and keeps them about six months, gives them away or something and then she gets another. To me a pet is something you take responsibility for, for the natural life of that pet.

Hopefully your friend will change her mind and let this whole pet business go away. I just don't understand people like that and I find them very shallow.

20 November, 2006  
Blogger vanillabirdies said...

Aha! Correct PoP! Shallow does seem like the best word to describe it but there's also a certain cruelty I think.

You take a living being throw it into your life then kick it out when you're sick of it or the responsibility...or who knows what? If you treat humans that way it usually comes full circle..shouldn't it be the same for animals?

20 November, 2006  
Blogger Michael Bains said...

I've noticed that some folk get a sense of Self Importance just from having a pet who loves them as a best friend, as pets will definitely do!

'Course, even small furry friends "get it" when they're being treated poorly, and as happens with kids of clueless parents, they'll rebel in anyway they can, even if it dooms them.

I love teh critters! Don't want any pets. At least not 'til I know that I've got the time AND energy for one. Then I'm thinkin' Parrot. But ya gotta clip their wings a bit. NOT a lot, but enough that they can't get up too much velocity zoomin' 'round inside even a roomy home. It may be "funny" to watch 'em slam into the wall (err, it IS my friend, eh {-:) but concussions and broken necks kill, and a bird needs its friend's help to adapt to inside conditions.

Can I tell that I'd really like a parrot, someday???

21 November, 2006  
Blogger Michael Bains said...

Ooops! Can you tell? lol!

21 November, 2006  
Blogger Durward Discussion said...

PoP and VB

We are in the same camp of animal lovers. If you can't take the time to care for it, don't get an animal.

Of course this does mean that they hang around for a long time and bring their orphaned friends home to stay. This usually works out okay until the cat population grows beyond the ability of the humans to pet and don't ask me how they got a rabbit named Harvey to follow them home.

21 November, 2006  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

If you get a parrot be prepared to most likely have it the rest of your life. They can be a nightmare if you are not aware of all the trouble they can cause. Just keep this in mind, even though they can be a great companion, they also require a lot of time and energy.

And to quote the only thing Bob Barker ever said worth quoting, "Spay and Neuter your cat and dog."

25 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home