Friday, June 30, 2006

DADA why are there cameras pointed all over MOMA?

I love all of my new york city museums...how could one not?

Now, one of the best parts of new york city is...doing things for free.

Many embittered people don't realize that YES you can do very cool things in nyc on the cheap.

But there are many things you can do!

A great one I realized was the friday night free admission at the MOMA! It opens at 4:00...you wait on line in a parking lot and its completely fantastic.

And free!

Say it with me! F-R-E-E!

The DADA exhibit is on the sixth floor...and the main reason for this particular visit to the MOMA.

Now...for my rant.

People are allowed to bring cameras into the MOMA. (No flash, but little pay heed to that slight drawback)

I understand that it seems like a fantastic idea. And there are people that really understand and appreciate the art and come from very far...BUT most of the people with their digital cameras of all sorts were grouping around an absolutely beautiful painting.

Starry Night by Van Gogh

This painting is absolutely next to being brilliant and gorgeous a very well known pop icon.

Which is why it was getting particular attention.

I'm not sure how I feel about the use of cameras on brilliant pieces of art in the museum.

It, to me objectifies the painting...as though the whole point of "capturing" the painting was more of a "right of having been there"...as though over brunch the next week the person could click through the memory card on their camera showing their friends that yes...they had gone to the MOMA.

It almost feels stolen to me.

It's incredibly annoying to be in a group of people looking at a painting and arms tangle over and in front of your head with a digital camera gripped...and have them stay until they get the most even shot imaginable. It's also annoying to watch them push other people around to get their shot...or glare.

Hmm, lol

Of course I said nothing. What was there to say? Put away the camera asshole?

lol no, that wouldn't have been right. I thought it was rude and they didnt. Simple as that.

I was asked by a very sweet (and cute) italian guy to take his picture in front of a very different painting....Sure! I said. I then whispered to my grandmother I guess I'm feeding into the hypocrisy but what can I do?

The truth is the man was very sweet and had come from italy to see the museum.

The truth about my dislike of using cameras in the moma is mostly over the preservation of the moma.

If you'd like a poster, or even a postcard with the art...please PLEASE you can buy it from the gift shop.

Yes, it can get expensive but the money does benefit the museum as well as other good things.

If the museum isn't taken care of what will happen to it?

Of course, the MOMA is beautifully kept. But I still find it rude to take pictures of the art...no matter how earnestly in love with the painting you are...please try to be nice while you do it...or at least wait until there isnt a large group looking at it.


Or even better, buy it at the giftshop..

But! What can you do?

You're standing in front of history. And at the same time as much as you're enjoying it...you might be ruining it for others.

Oh by the way..go see the DADA exhibit..its fantastic!


Love,

Arabella


P.S. Funnily...NO ONE was using a digital camera on that exhibit...I wonder what that says....

3 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

I didn't know you could get into the MOMA for free

03 July, 2006  
Blogger vanillabirdies said...

yeah! its fantastic, just get there at about 3:45 and you wait on line for awhile...totally worth it

ive waited online for less interesting adventures..lol including theme park rides

06 July, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we'll have to go

06 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home